Katra, Aug 27 (KNS): Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board (SMVDSB) has strongly denied media reports alleging negligence in allowing the yatra despite weather advisories. The Board expressed deep sorrow over the tragic loss of lives in the landslide triggered by an unprecedented cloudburst on August 26.
In a statement, the Shrine Board clarified that weather conditions on the morning of August 26 were clear, with helicopter services operating normally. Yatra was proceeding smoothly under strict monitoring, and enforcement staff along with the Disaster Management Task Force were already deployed across the track.
The Board said yatra registrations were suspended immediately after a forecast of moderate rain, and most pilgrims had safely returned to Katra by then. The Tarakote track, known for landslide risk, had already been closed on August 24. Movement was allowed only on the old track, considered secure over decades. Even that was suspended by noon on August 26 after the specific advisory.Click Here To Follow Our WhatsApp Channel
The landslide struck suddenly near Inderprastha Bhojanalaya at 2:40 PM, following a severe cloudburst in a 50-meter stretch never known for such incidents. Calling it a “force majeure,” the Board said the event was neither predictable nor preventable.
Swift rescue operations were launched by the Shrine Board’s task force with support from District Administration, Police, CRPF, Army, NDRF, SDRF, and volunteers. Eighteen injured pilgrims were evacuated and admitted to the Shrine Board’s Super-Specialty Hospital at Kakryal. All stranded pilgrims were safely brought to Katra by evening.
The Shrine Board reiterated that it has always acted strictly in line with official weather forecasts, keeping pilgrim safety as the top priority. “The tragic cloudburst was beyond human anticipation or control. We stand with the bereaved families and injured devotees, ensuring all possible assistance,” the Board said.(KNS)